Between its picturesque scenery, diverse wildlife and the popular events held across the Lakeland area, there are countless photography opportunities year-round here in the Northwoods.
The Lakeland Times and The Northwoods River News invites you to share your passion of the Lakeland area with your neighbors by sponsoring a photography contest, “Celebrating the Northwoods.”
This amateur photography contest will be held from today, Friday, Jan. 25, through Friday, March, 15.
The submitted photographs must have been taken in the Northwoods between Jan. 1, 2012, and March 15, 2013, and may be turned in with a completed entry form at either newspaper office or online at www.lakelandtimes.com or www.rivernewsonline.com.
Entry forms are also available on the news organizations’ websites.
The contest categories are as follows:
Northwoods Wildlife: Capture a moment of Northwoods wildlife, whether it’s an American bald eagle in flight, an elusive albino deer or a rafter of turkeys on the run. This category focuses on animal behavior and includes all types of wildlife. Photographs submitted to this category may be of the Northwoods wildlife in the wild or in your own backyard – it just has to be of a Lakeland area animal caught on camera by you.
The Scenic Northwoods: The Northwoods is a vacation destination for a myriad of reasons, one of which is the area’s breathtaking scenery. Sunsets and sunrises, fall colors, pristine lakes, endless green forests – the list of picture possibilities is endless. Photographs submitted to this category should highlight the more-often-than-not awe-inspiring landscape the Lakeland area has to offer.
Northwoods People and Events: Not only do we have the stunning landscapes and captivating array of wildlife, the events held in the Northwoods attract visitors from across the country. This category is for any unique photograph portraying an area event and its event-goers.
Pets in the Northwoods: Pets are an extension of family, and this category is all about your pets enjoying the Northwoods, whether it’s swimming in one of the lakes, taking a hike through a forest or simply playing outside in your yard.
Three winners will be awarded in each of the four categories: People’s Choice, Judge’s Choice and Honorable Mention. All 12 winning photos will be featured in a printed calendar for distribution across the Northwoods and will also have their photos printed in both newspapers and receive an award certificate and a Sponsor Prize Package.
Voting for People’s Choice awards in each category will be held Saturday, March 16-Saturday, March 23. The submitted photographs will be displayed on The Lakeland Times and The Northwoods River News websites and Facebook pages.
• Amateur photographers only. Entrants must not make more than 15 percent of their annual income through photography.
• Entered photos must have been taken in the Northwoods between Jan. 1, 2012, and March 15, 2013.
• Each participant may submit up to four photos (one per category).
• Each submitted photograph must be turned in with a completed entry form, which will include a title of the picture, where and when it was taken and any other interesting background information.
• No entry fee. Open to all ages.
• Photograph entries must not have won a prize in any previous photography contest.
• The required size for the photographs are 300 dpi for online submissions and 8x10 for hard copy submissions.
• Participants must sign a release for the publication of their photo(s). The Lakeland Times and The Northwoods River News maintain the right to reject or refuse any entry.
For more information, call Sarah Hirsch at 715-356-5236, email email@example.com; or call Wendi Ell at 715-365-6397 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.