“Some nice fish have been registered to start the 2012 Vilas County Musky Marathon” according to Janet Christianson of the Vilas County Tourism & Publicity Department.
The Vilas County Musky Marathon, which runs the entire musky season, is a fun way for anglers fishing Vilas County waters to register a released musky (it must be legal for the waters being fished) and be eligible for prizes, drawing prizes and plaques.
Christianson reminds anglers there is no fee to register a musky and the Marathon runs through Nov. 30.
“Anglers are encouraged to register their muskie as soon as possible as prizes are distributed throughout the Marathon to every tenth and one-hundredth registrant in each category – Men’s, Women’s, Youth and Guide’s. Plaques to the top three in each category are awarded at the end of the Marathon. ”
Standings and pictures are updated weekly on the Vilas County Tourism & Publicity website at www.vilas.org.
“With the angler’s permission, submitted pictures are uploaded to the website to share with other anglers,” Christianson said, “and the Marathon registrants enjoy sharing their Vilas County memory with family and friends.”
Current Men’s Released Division leaders include Bruce Spangenberg of Williams Bay who registered his June 5 49-inch muskie which liked his bucktail (Bruce’s SLS) lure.
Alan Cratty of Eugene, Ore., has registered a 48-1⁄2-inch muskie. He was fishing with a bucktail (Inhaler) lure on May 28.
Jon Jantzen of St. Germain was fishing on June 3 with a Hardhead (H2O) lure when he tangled with a 48-inch muskie.
Youth Released Division registrants include Thomas Kolling of Phelps with a 44-1⁄2-inch muskie he encountered on May 26 while fishing with a Jointed Grandma (Buchertail) lure. A 43-inch muskie preferred the bucktail (Bill Sandy) lure used by Jakob Relien of Neenah on June 19. It was his first muskie! David Morton of Verona registered a 40-inch musky caught on June 8 while fishing with a Perchbait (Legend) lure.
In the Guide’s Released Division, Bob Jacobs of Eagle River has registered a 45.2-inch muskie caught on June 9, and a 41-1⁄4-inch muskie caught on May 26, both while fishing with a Super Stretchy (Mann’s) lure. A 40-1⁄4-inch muskie found Fred Brogle’s bucktail (Bucher) lure tempting on June 11.
Registration forms available at Registration Stations located throughout the County. Boulder Junction – Northern Highland Sports; Conover – Lax Taxidermy and Northern Waters Angling & Archery; Eagle River – Eagle Sports Center, Guides’ Choice Pro Shop; and Wild Eagle Corner Store; Land O’ Lakes – Bent’s Camp Resort & Lodge and Sunrise Lodge; Manitowish Waters – Townline Sports; Phelps – Hillside Resort or Phelps Trustworthy Hardware; Presque Isle – Up North Sport & Gift; St. Germain – St. Germain Sport Marine; Sayner/Star Lake – Up North Traders.
To check out the current standings, view submitted photos, or for more information on the Vilas County Musky Marathon, or to obtain a registration form, visit the Vilas County Tourism website at www.vilas.org or call Vilas County Tourism & Publicity at 715- 479-3649.
Standings as of July 6:
2012 Vilas County Musky Marathon Men’s Released Division:
1. Bruce Spangenberg, Williams Bay. 49-inch, using a Bucktail (Bruce’s SLS) Lure, June 5.
2. Alan S. Cratty, Eugene, Ore., 48-1⁄2-inch, using a Bucktail (Inhaler) Lure, May 28.
3. Jon E. Jantzen, St. Germain, 48-inch, using a Hardhead (H2O Baits) Lure, June 3.
4. Terry B. Uhlenbrauck, DePere, 46-1⁄4-inch, using a homemade bucktail, June 10.
5. Brian Schmidt, Merrill, 46-inch, using a Bulldawg, June 9.
6. Doug Kapla, Pulaski, 45-inch, using a Top Water Lure, June 9.
Jon E. Jantzen, St. Germain, 45-inch, using a Buckethead (H2O Tackle) Lure, June 24.
7. Jon E. Jantzen, St. Germain, 44-1⁄2-inch, using a Hard Head (H20 Tackle) Lure, June 10.
8. Doug Kapla, Pulaski, 43-inch, using a Top Water Lure, June 8.
Bruce Spangenberg, Williams Bay, 43-inch, using a Bucktail (Bruce’s SLS) Lure, June 5.
9. Doug Kapla, Pulaski, 42-inch, using a Top Water Lure, June 8.
10. Don Zander, Boulder Junction, 40-1⁄2-inch, using a Bucktail Lure, June 7.
11. Doug Kapla, Pulaski, 40-inch, using a Top Water Lure, June 10.
Dennis Downing, Sheboygan Falls, 40-inch, using a 1⁄16 ounce jig and Power Bait (Berkley) Lure, May 31.
2012 Vilas County Musky Marathon Guide Released Division:
1. Robert Jacobs, Eagle River, 45-1⁄4-inch, using a Super Stretch-1 (Mann's Baits) Lure, June 9.
2. Robert Jacobs, Eagle River, 41-1⁄4-inch, using a Super Stretch (Mann's) Lure, May 26.
3. Fred Brogle, Eagle River, 40-1⁄4-inch, using a Bucktail (Bucher) Lure, June 11.
2012 Vilas County Musky Marathon Youth Released Division:
1. Thomas Kolling, Phelps, 44-1⁄2-inch, using an 8-inch Jointed Grandma (Buchertail) Lure, May 26.
2. Jakob Relien, Neenah, 43-inch, using a Bucktail (Bill Sandy) Lure, June 19.
3. David Morton, Verona, 40-inch, using a Perchbait (Legend) Lure, June 8.