Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest
• McNaughton Trail, Dec. 30 – Skaters loop groomed. All other loops cut and tracked. Good conditions.
• Raven trail, Dec. 30 – All loops cut and tracked. Good conditions.
• Madeline trail, Dec. 28 – All loops tracked. Good conditions.
• Escanaba trail, Dec. 29 – All loops cut and tracked with the exception of the outer loop from the shelter to the trailhead, which was still in good shape. Good conditions.
Report provided by Tony Martinez, trails coordinator, Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest.
Passes are available by self-registration at the trailheads or at the Clear Lake Ranger Station, open daily 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
For more information, call 715-385-3355, ext. 117.
Rhinelander Area Silent Trails Association
Dec. 31 – Grooming of the Washhburn, Cassian, and Nose Lake Cross Country Ski trails has not been conducted this week due to the bitter cold temperatures. We attempted to brush up the deck at Washburn today and had a very difficult time manuvering the snowmobile and getting the teeth to cut into the deck. The bitter cold temps are just too much to deal with.
We will be working on the Washburn Trails on Thursday and then Cassian and Nose Lake hopefully before the weekend. The deck at Washburn is hard packed and icy and the tracks at all three trails are glazed and icy. Check back for further updates later in the week. Happy New Year everyone.
• Nose Lake Trail, Dec. 23 – Groomed this morning and the track looks to be in good shape.
• Washburn Trail, Jan. 1 – The deck was brushed this morning and the corduroy looks nice. Classic tracks were not reset.
• Cassian Trail, Dec. 27 – Trail groomed, and the groomer reported a good firm base. The low areas are only single tracked, but almost the rest is double tracked.