The towns of Minocqua, Woodruff and Arbor Vitae received positive economic news when final numbers were released last week detailing the amount collected over the last three months through the room tax.
The three member area towns’ room tax collection commission met Tuesday and released the latest figures.
Room tax money to be presented to the Minocqua Area Chamber of Commerce consists of 75 percent of the total room tax collected during a period. The remaining 25 percent goes to the towns.
For the last three-month period of the 2011-12 fiscal year Minocqua was to give to the chamber $135,762. During the same period Woodruff was to give the chamber $30,437 and Arbor Vitae $3,078.
For the same period in the previous fiscal year Minocqua’s share to the chamber was $132,875, Woodruff’s was $2,825 and Arbor Vitae contributed $13,982.
For the entire 2011-12 fiscal year the town of Minocqua will have contributed $247,447 to the chamber. That’s an increase from the overall total for the last fiscal year from the town of $23,173 and an increase of $15,274.
Woodruff saw a big increase in their contribution for the 2011-12 fiscal year rising to $32,613 from $4,777 the year before.
Arbor Vitae saw a decrease from the previous year in their contribution to the chamber which fell to $16,089 in 2011-12 compared with $26,921 in 2010-11 for a drop of about $10,830.
According to Room Tax Commission chairman John Allen the recently completed quarter had the highest total in room tax collections for the quarter since the same quarter in 2007-08.
The just completed fiscal year also marks the first year in the last four that the amount of room taxes paid to the chamber by the three towns increased.
The chamber will receive a total of $296,149 in room taxes for the just-completed fiscal year compared to the $263,372 the chamber received from the three towns in 2010-11. That’s still below the total for the 2007-08 fiscal year which was $321,950.
“I think that is pretty positive news,” Allen said. “It reflects an awfully good year, much better than the last few previous years.
“We had a couple of nice events that really helped us a lot, along with some good weather. We had the largest attendance ever for Beer-A-Rama and that certainly was a big help.”
Allen said Kim Baltus, executive director of the Minocqua Area Chamber of Commerce, had also received good feedback from a number of the area businesses. They all hope the local positive economic momentum can continue.
Each towns’ share from the room tax collected over the entire year will be: Minocqua, $82,482; Woodruff, $10,871 and Arbor Vitae, $5,363.
New commission member
Allen also announced that all of the necessary paperwork had been completed and filed which will allow Lake Tomahawk to become the fourth member of the commission starting Jan. 1, 2013.
“We’re glad to have them join us and we’re looking forward to them being a new member,” Allen said.
Joe VanDeLaarschot may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.