A fire last week damaged a Mercer restaurant.
Fire crews were dispatched just before midnight on July 6 to the Whistle Stop Bar and Grill, 2639 W. Railroad St., in downtown Mercer.
Greg Geiszler, who co-owns the restaurant with his wife, Jennifer, said the Mercer Fire Department told him a compressor in a freezer caught fire. Flames moved to a wall and then spread.
He and his wife were asleep when the fire started, but awoke upon smelling smoke.
He described the damaged as “extensive.”
The restaurant has been closed since the fire. Geiszler said he is waiting for an insurance company to estimate the losses and cost of repairs before deciding on a course of action.
The fire has also displaced the Geiszlers from their home, which is located on the second floor of the building that houses the restaurant.
They are staying at another home for now.
Geiszler said Mercer-area residents have generously offered help since the fire.
“The community response has been absolutely unbelievable,” Geiszler said.
The couple bought the restaurant in January 2013 and made extensive renovations.
They recently won first place in the Taste of the Northwoods restaurant contest.
Jonathan Anderson may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.