Free tax assistance offered by AARP
January 24, 2020
Free income tax assistance is available for the Lakeland area residents from Feb. 3 to April 10. This service is provided by the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) Foundation, and is available to people with low to moderate income, with special attention to those over the age of 60.
Tax counseling services are offered free of charge by volunteer tax aides trained by the IRS and AARP to assist in tax preparation. The services rendered will include preparation of 2018 Federal and Wisconsin tax returns, and, if applicable, the Wisconsin Homestead Credit.
The tax counseling service is offered from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Mondays and Fridays at the Minocqua Public Library, 415 Menominee Street, Minocqua.
To speed up refunds or receipt of Homestead Credit, electronic filing of a return is offered at no charge.
Tax counseling is offered by appointment only. To learn more about the tax service, or to make an appointment, call 715-356-4437.
Bring the following items as appropriate:
• A picture ID (required)
• Social Security Card (required)
• Copies of last year’s 2019 Federal and State returns (if filed)
• 2019 W-2’s, 1099’s and any other tax related documents (i.e. interest and dividend statements, IRA withdrawals, etc.)
• Social Security Income payment statements
• Copies of any W-2 G (gambling winnings)
• Information showing purchase price for any stock sold
• Information to support any Itemized Deductions
• Copy of Real Estate Tax Statement for both 2017 and 2019
NOTE: Bring a copy of the 2019 bill even if it will be paid in 2020
• Know the annual dollar amount paid for Supplemental Medical Insurance and Medicare Part D Drug Insurance.
• Signed rent certificate from landlord (if renting and filing for Homestead Credit)
• State Unemployment Summary (must get online)