Hunters reminded to check cabin’s heating system
November 22, 2019
As one of Wisconsin’s signature traditions returns, Wisconsin Public Service (WPS) urges deer hunters to thoroughly inspect a cabin’s heating system before heading out into the woods.
Inspecting a hunting cabin’s heating system can help avoid a dangerous or even fatal buildup of carbon monoxide. This invisible, odorless gas is created by improper venting or burning of fuel.
Carbon monoxide warning signs
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
• A sudden flu-like illness.
• Dizziness, headaches or sleepiness.
• Cherry-red lips and an unusually pale complexion.
• Nausea or vomiting.
• A fluttering heartbeat.
To prevent a buildup of carbon monoxide, hunters should install carbon monoxide detectors inside the cabins, or check existing detectors to ensure they are working properly. Heating vents should be checked and cleared of any animal nests or debris.
Additionally, hunters who use a portable electric generator should always operate it outdoors to prevent carbon monoxide from accumulating indoors.
WPS also cautions hunters to be aware of power lines and electric distribution equipment near hunting grounds.