/ Articles / No injuries in weekend Land O’Lakes fires

No injuries in weekend Land O’Lakes fires

January 14, 2020 by Brian Jopek

Firefighters with the Land O’ Lakes Fire Department were busy this past weekend. 

According to a press release from the Vilas County Sheriff’s Office, a 911 call came in around 3 p.m. Friday reporting smoke from a house on Big Lake Road in Land O’ Lakes. 

Upon arrival by responding units, fire was seen coming from the roof of the house. 

No one was home at the time of the blaze, which caused considerable damage. 

The Presque Isle and Conover fire departments were called in for support. 

Nearly 24 hours later, on Jan. 11, the dispatch center at the sheriff’s office received a call reporting another house fire in the town of Land O’Lakes, this one on Carlson Road. 

“Responding units arrived on scene and observed smoke coming from the roof of the house,” a press release from the Vilas County Sheriff’s Office stated. “The residence sustained substantial smoke damage. Initial investigation indicates that the fire may have been started by a space heater.”

That home’s occupants were able to safely leave and went to a neighbor’s house.

According to police scanner traffic, Vilas County Social Services was called regarding needs for the occupants of the home, who it was said lost nearly everything in the blaze. 

In addition to the Land O’ Lakes Fire Department and Ambulance service and Vilas County deputies, personnel from the Conover Fire Department and WE Energy responded to that fire.

Both fires remain under investigation. 

Brian Jopek may be reached via email at [email protected].

Read This Next


{{ item.published_at | unix_to_date }}

{{ tag | uppercase}},

{{ item.title }}

{{ item.description | truncate(200) }}


See more latest news »

Stay Connected to the Northwoods

Learn what a subscription to the Lakeland Times offers you:

Subscribe Today »