/ Articles / Tigers hand T-Birds first loss in a month

Tigers hand T-Birds first loss in a month

January 31, 2020 by Brett LaBore

The Lakeland boys’ hockey team continued non-conference play when they hosted Marshfield on Tuesday night.

The Tigers came back to win 4-3 in overtime.

“It was another exciting hockey game,” coach Jake Suter said. 

A penalty 5:25 into the game from the Tigers’ Dom Lange proved costly. He got hit with a five minute major for checking from behind. The Thunderbirds capitalized in a big way.

In a span of 32 seconds, the Thunderbirds scored two goals from the same person, assisted by the same two people.

Max Toijala scored two power play goals, both assisted by Victor Masayesva and Teag Wagner.

After one period, the Thunderbirds led 2-0.

At 9:20 into the second period, Toijala had another hat trick. He scored his third goal of the game on an assist from Joe Beda.

In the net, Guelcher was a perfect 24-24 in save opportunities thus far. The Thunderbirds led 3-0 and looked to cruise to another victory.

Then the third period came. The Tigers scored three goals to tie the game at 3-3. Here’s how they got there.

Noah Peterson scored an unassisted goal 10:41 into the period. Then, the power play came up big again. Much like the Thunderbirds took advantage of it in the first period, the Tigers used it well in the third period.

A two minute slashing penalty put Toijala in the box at 11:14 in the third period. Ian Haugen took advantage and scored the power play goal, assisted by Peterson. The Tigers were down only 3-2.

Less than three minutes left in the game, Toijala went back to the penalty box with a holding penalty. This time Evan Weister scored a minute and a half later to tie the game at 3-3. Peterson had the assist again, finishing with three points on the night.

“We by no means played bad,” Suter said. “Marshfield played well and probably deserved the win a little more than we did.”

The Thunderbirds were playing in their second straight overtime game. They tied D.C. Everest 1-1 on Saturday.

Just over a minute into overtime, the Tigers won 4-3 thanks to another goal by Weister, assisted by Haugen and Ben Lawyer.

The Tigers won despite being outshot by the Thunderbirds 57-38.

“We look forward to hopefully running into them again in the playoffs,” Suter said. “We haven’t had a loss in awhile, so I’m excited to see how the kids respond to a little adversity.”

It was Lakeland’s first loss since Dec. 17 at Northland Pines.

Up next, the Thunderbirds compete at the Great Northern Conference meet on Tuesday, Feb. 4 at 7 p.m. The location is to be determined.

“We have a very mature group of young men,” Suter said. “There’s no doubt in my mind we will grow from this as we head into the conference tournament and postseason.”

Brett LaBore may be reached at [email protected] or [email protected].

Read This Next

{{ item.published_at | unix_to_date }}

{{ tag | uppercase}},

{{ item.title }}

{{ item.description | truncate(200) }}

See more latest news »

Stay Connected to the Northwoods

Learn what a subscription to the Lakeland Times offers you:

Subscribe Today »